Monday, December 12, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia


I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe last Saturday night. One word I would describe it as is magnificent =) I loved it. As I told my big sister, it's exactly as I would have wanted it. Excellent.


I think there's too much going on in my head now, I have too much to say. Let's talk about the actual story first. I remember when I was a lot younger, I wasn't interested in reading the books. Then I completely forgot about them until earlier this year. I had read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe before, so instead of picking that one up (which i regret now, even though I remember the story pretty clearly), I took the second book and started reading. Then I got hooked, and read the whole series within a few months.

C.S. Lewis is a good author =)


The first time I was ever introduced to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was through a cartoon my Dad recorded long ago. I recall watching it many times as a kid and I recall loving every moment of it, just as I loved every moment of the movie.

Okay lah, what can i say about the movie? The moment I heard my sister was working on the show, I was so bloody proud of her and incredibly excited that a movie was being made of CSLewis's books. If the older simple 2D animated one was already so enchanting, I was sure the modern version would be a hell lot better.


So there I was with my parents and baby sister in the Cinema waiting for the movie to start. The beginning was already so sad, ahakz. The movie followed the story pretty accurately, like I said before - it's exactly as I would have wanted it. The special effects were, of course, quite intriguing... Nothing that much like Harry Potter (you know, flying brooms, freaky mermaids, fiery dragons, live plants with minds of their own.. broken limbs? wait, that was the previous HP.. or was it the one even before that?) but great effects indeed.


Maybe it was the fact that I've been looking forward to this movie. Or maybe it's the fact that I already love this story. OR, maybe it's the fact that Carol worked on the movie. But either way, I found myself totally mesmerized by the show and endless questions popped into my head like never before. I definitely know what line I want to go into.



The actors were real good too. It's not a good show without good actors. I heard the kids were all new actors, so I must say they did a good job.



The witch was great - so emotionless and uncaring, so cold and evil, that's so the White Witch =P



Oh, Mr Tumnus - I've always loved Mr. Tumnas. He's always been such a cute character, haha. Such a sad one, though.



I loved all the animals, basically. The cheetahs and leopards and tigers, though minor, were adorable, very well animated. So were the gryphons, minotaurs, centaurs, fawns, etc.. The wolves.. were good, but they give me the feeling that dogs really aren't meant to talk like humans lol.



How about Aslan, the lion? Oh, Aslan. He makes the whole show worth watching. I love Aslan, I've always loved Aslan. I've always seen him as the most majestic and magnificent creature in Narnia (which he is, actually) and before I watched the movie, I asked Carol, "Who's Aslan's voice? His voice has to be just right because he's Aslan." Liam Neeson does a good job ;)



Am I leaning too far to "perfect", reviewing this movie? I won't say its perfect because that would sound a little.. biased. It'll make me sound like I'm criticizing HP and degrading it to a step lower than Narnia. But I do prefer The Chronicles of Narnia, no doubt. It's definitely more for families and kids. HP is getting rather dark and scary. But i think when it comes to reviewing, each person is entitled to his/her own opinion.

If you haven't gone to watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, I suggest you do. It's worth it. Go buy some popcorn, a bag of chips, a soda and enjoy the movie.

No pirated DVD for me this trip =)

4 Comments:

Blogger Chun Chow said...

Lucy, the youngest child, seems to smile all the way. and the smile so cunning..weird.. =P

1:21 AM  
Blogger Merr-peng said...

Ahakz, I think that's just the way she looks when she smiles. Cute kid though, don't you think?

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... So what did Carol actually do for this movie?

I tried to read C.S. Lewis, but I only read Lion/Witch/Wardrobe because I got too bored with the other ones. I blame the British, lol...

1:15 PM  
Blogger Merr-peng said...

Hahaa, you blame the British because you're American. Don't worry, I was bored of it the first time round too, that's why I never really got to reading it till now =P

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home