My family away from my family
On the fourth of February, as I watched my parents and sister leave the Vista Prima apartments, I told myself that I was going to be living here without my family, with new people whom I hardly know (besides Carol, I totally didn't know anyone then). And I told myself I won't feel homesick because other people have been able to survive and I was sure I could. I wasn't sure how well I'd adapt (normally I adapt pretty well, but this was a new thing for me, living away from home)
But you know what, God was watching over me (still is, praise the Lord) and He blessed me with such amazing new friends. So this post is especially for them, because they've made me feel so welcomed and so at home here.
If any of you (referring to the people I'm writing about) have any objections at all towards this post, please tell me, and I'll edit or get rid of it.
Okay, so where shall I start?
I'll start with Carol. Carol was obviously the first person I knew here. She offered me a place to stay with her, so now we're housemates. I did mention her before, and I did mention that I didn't know her well in school. But after living with her for exactly a month.. Carol is a cool person. She's really helpful to me, has been so good at helping me adapt to the place, she's introduced me to so many people, introduced me to church and always makes me laugh one.. so amusing, as she says it. Like I mentioned before, I can't believe I missed her in high school. She's taught me a lot and I'm still learning. It's incredibly easy to share things with her.
The first two other people I recall meeting would be Bernard and Tefo. Mmmhmm, they came back on Saturday night, fourth of February with Carol. That time I was still kinda shy la :) Yeah but they were a bit hyper that one night. And they gave me a nickname - Merr. But you gotta say it a CERTAIN way for it to work. It's currently restricted to church people, but it is spreading. Liz and Carol now often call me Merr. Anyway then Bernard and Tefo asked me to go "yum cha" with them. Since I wasn't quite used to the place yet, I declined politely but they persisted. Now I understand why :)
Let me talk about Liz. I didn't meet her till mid-Feb, but she's my other housemate, and.. wow what can I say ah.. Liz is cool. She's my senior in animation and she's super in photography. She's real helpful to me too and she was the one who brought me to church the first day I went (technically the bus brought us there, but she was the one I stuck to). And she sat through the whole scary-first-time-experience thing with me. Yeah, that's Liz. She's nice and real easy to talk to too. Oh, oh yeah, she introduced me to the nasi lemak downstairs... :)
Judy! Yes, Judy. She picked Carol and I up from Vista Prima one time, and that was the first time I met her. Carol, as usual was ordering her to introduce herself. From day 1, I saw how perky Judy was. Perky as in, she talks alot, she speaks loud and she sounds happy. Like, all the time. She's real good with kids (I wish I was. Considering my mum owns a preschool, I should be... but...) and real sweet too. And she makes me laugh, big time. She makes me laugh when she talks, how she talks, what she says, anything. So entertaining. And I like her car :)) Don't worry Judy, I like you better than I like your car :P
Sewei leh. I met her the same day I met Judy. I thought Judy was perky.. Sewei perkier.. or louder at least. That's a good thing :) She's loud and open and so cool. She and Judy, whatever they do also amuse me one. She's friendly, gets along well with like, anyone, and always always has something to say or an opinion to give. Oh right, and the way she and Judy and Carol go "mm hmm!" and "that's right!"... I could get used to that ahakz. And yes, Sewei, you're cute... (bwahaha..)
Oh yeah, Bee Sean. I met her same day as Judy too. I haven't really gotten to know Bee Sean all that well, but probably because we speak two different languages :P Haiya sorry la, this banana never learnt Manadarin :( But Bee Sean is nice, sweet and friendly and she's another familiar face in campus and makes me feel much less lonely around the horde of other strange students even though we don't talk all that much :)
Moving on to the people downstairs. Chua is one of the first I met too. He was real friendly, good conversationalist and now that I know him a bit better, he's a real nice guy. Playing card games with him - he seemingly keeps trying to trick people into taking/not taking a card but sometimes I wonder if it's just reverse psychology... :)
Aaron I remember helped me bring stuff up to my apartment once. I didn't know him, but he brought things up with me under Carol's request and that's when I got to meet him. He knows loads of card games and has taught me a few and he "always tells the truth". He helped me with something recently, taught me how type anti-clockwise with the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator. Thanks, Aaron :)
Irene is cute and sweet and she let me use her Internet and that was where I posted errr.. i think it begins something like HOWLONGHASITBEENSINCEI'VEBLOGGED..... NOINTERNETTTT something like that. But she let me use her computer and Internet and I got to email and blog the first time after two weeks :)
Daryl.. wah, okay Daryl is one really good Animation student. His drawings are awesome. I think I linked his blog already, check it out. Daryl and I clicked pretty well the first time we met. Maybe beacuse we study the same subject and I was eager to learn from a senior. He has lots of stuff to show me too, all very interesting. He told me to practice and practice and not stop and though I've heard that loads of times, I think he's the only one who got me practicing. It's easy to talk to him about stuff too, I can count on him to listen anytime :)
Max. Max Kuchinglang. Haha. Max helped me figure out some things with the logo I was (or maybe still am) working on. He's real nice, real easy to talk to and likes to bully Judy :D It's so funny when he bullies her. Poor Judy. Haha. I think the bullying goes back and forth. Max is a good guy and he's an excellent graphic designer (is excellent better than great or was it the other way around?) And I remember I was talking to Chiam (I think it was Chiam) and she asked me if I remembered how Max intro-ed himself - "Hi, you're new. I'm Max." That sounded pretty funny..
Chiam! I haven't talked about Chiam. She's my age, a fashion student (I'm totally fashion illiterate) and we get along very well. I can talk to her about anything too. She's real nice to hang around and she can be so cute.. oh wait, she calls ME cute.. for what reason I don't know.. lol. And she constantly apologises profusely. Haha. So funny, but so sweet. Don't worry, Chiam, we'll never stay mad at you :)
Wow that's alot of people. I know other people, sure, don't worry I haven't forgotten you. But it's just that I don't quite know how to spell some of your names (paiseh paiseh) so I'm not ready to type them out.. :P
But anyway yeah. These people have clearly been such good friends and I seriously seriously feel I'm blessed to have met them first before anyone else, before some I might receive bad influences from. ECF, our church, has really impacted me too - I actually enjoy going to church now and I'd rather not miss a Saturday Night there. Anyway, it's late. I need sleep. I just needed to blog about these nice, nice people and how much they've done for me, in this SHORT ONE MONTH. I'll be sad when the day comes I won't see them so often anymore :( But I'm not going to think of the day, I'd rather enjoy time with them first :)
They're my family away from my family.


1 Comments:
ha?? where got cool..pretty hot here so my body temperature will sure go up one...hmm something is obviously wrong with your sense of temperature...see what Malaysia has done to me hahaha kidding ok kidding.....
huh? photography? where got superb... it was lih su doing most of the great job in teaching hahah and thank God for my brain coz I could understand what Lih Su taught me ahahaha welcome to the family merr...
-Liz- (if u prefer to call me this)
Post a Comment
<< Home